When looking for the best reading apps for kids, you may want to consider what your child needs from the app. Are they struggling to read? Do they enjoy reading? Knowing what you want and what your child needs makes choosing the right app easier.
Of course, that’s the last thing you want as a parent, as they need to develop a good level of reading to be able to do well in school, work, or even just to stay informed.
Fortunately, there are some ways to motivate your child to read and reading app options that can help them to enjoy the experience .
How Do You Motivate Children to Read?
There are plenty of reasons why children may not want to read. However, normally it boils down to it being difficult for them, or that they find reading boring.
More often than not it’s because they’ve only experienced the school library, or their teacher isn’t supporting them in the way that they need.
With advanced reading apps and a few parental tricks, their ‘opinion’ of reading can be turned around and reading can become something that they look forward to doing.
Here are a few tips on how to motivate your child to read:
- Have a good selection of materials that are level and age-appropriate
- Make sure the books are fun and full of pictures
- Exciting or funny books can help to show that reading is an enjoyable activity
- Match reading materials to what they like
- Don’t only focus on them reading themselves. Have a time where they listen to stories read aloud and follow the words – allowing them to relax more and enjoy the story
- Never make them feel bad or silly when they make mistakes
- If they have siblings, consider setting times that they read together
- Create a fun and comfortable ‘reading zone’ in the house. Think pillow forts, or teepee style areas that would be liked by a kid
- Consider a reading app that supports them as they read
By making the entire atmosphere for reading safe, supportive, comfortable and fun, you help to reinforce that reading is something to enjoy.
As a parent, when you have time, you can even read with them or to them. This can create some wonderful family memories as you share virtual adventures in your reading cove.
What is the Best App to Teach a Child to Read?
The best app to teach a child to read may vary depending on the reason that they are struggling. However, for most children they simply need support, to hear stories, to get feedback in an unjudging way, and to re-read stories.
Re-reading stories is a great way for them to gain confidence, especially with stories that they enjoy. So, even if the 15th time of a pirate adventure is driving you a bit crazy as a parent, try to go with it and let them grow in confidence at their own pace.
The best app to teach a child to read must have the following features:
- A diverse library that continues to grow so that the child never gets bored of reading.
- The library should have stories appropriate to different ages and ability levels.
- There should be an option for the child to listen to any story or passage read aloud.
- The app should be able to assist the child, such as the guided following of the words when listening, or correcting pronunciation when the child makes a mistake.
- The app should adapt to the individual, suggesting new materials that match their level and interests.
- Parents should get reports, live updates, and be able to set goals.
From user feedback and our research, these elements help to turn a reading app into a virtual reading tutor. This is why we spent so much time and money making our AI tutoring system perfect so that kids can have the support they need at any time and anywhere with our reading app. Try Readability for free!