Literacy is at the forefront of education for many reasons, but most importantly, we know that students who can read can learn anything. Early literacy is “the natural development of skills through the enjoyment of books, the importance of positive interactions between children and parents, and the critical role of literacy-rich experiences.1” As literacy research has evolved, we find:
- Students reading below grade level in third grade are four times more likely to drop out of high school.
- One in three students begins kindergarten without the necessary skills for reading.
- Prioritizing reading at an early age can change an entire generation.
Essential Tips to Support Student Reading
Preparing students for their literacy journey is fundamental to helping them succeed. Many free and low-cost tools can support your literacy programs:
1. Provide a variety of books for all students.
- Consider creating theme boxes that families can check out.
- Host a book exchange where families can trade books.
- Provide extended hours to your school library so parents and students can check out books.
- Partner with a local library to help support your existing programs and create new reading goals.
2. Help students find age-appropriate reading materials.
- Comic books
- Greeting cards & Thank You Notes
3. Create a daily reading program that supports and reinforces student reading.
- Consider having students practice during school hours.
- Work with after-school programs and caregivers on strategies for reading practice.
- Create fun school-wide games and activities for students to engage in reading.
4. Host storytime
- Invite guest readers to read.
- Provide before, during, and after-school options.
5. Help parents support their children with simple reading activities and information sessions:
- Activating background knowledge
- Analyzing the text
Reading can come quickly to some students but can be challenging for others. Supporting families and students on the reading journey is essential. At Readability, we provide low-cost personalized reading support that includes:
- AI Tutor for every student in grades K-6
- Reading Practice with a goal
- Vocabulary Development
- Comprehension Checks
- Dashboards for all stakeholders
Download the Tips!
- Share with staff & parents.
- Review in a staff meeting.