Teachers are our children’s primary source of learning. One of the first things they learn to do in school is to read. When children are first starting to read, they need all the practice they can get. This is especially true for children who are struggling with reading. As parents, we might want to think about the best way to find reading programs for kids near me to help our children learn better and quicker.
How can I help my child who is struggling to read?
New readers that are struggling often need a little more practice and support at home. Making sure your child is getting the added support they need at home is crucial. If they are not getting enough reading practice, they are in danger of falling behind not just with reading, but with other subjects in school as well. Here are some ways you can get them to read at home more:
- Read with them, not just to them – Children need to have a model for learning, and while reading to them gives them that, a better way to help them learn is to read with them. Instead of being the only one reading, you can have your child read one section and then switch off. This gives them both an opportunity to practice and a chance to model your reading skills.
- Encourage them to always be reading – Reading is something that takes a lot of practice, especially to new readers. Don’t just encourage your child to read books, encourage them to read at any chance they can get such as reading shampoo bottles, restaurant menus, billboards, etc. The more real-life reading they encounter the more practice they will get with a wide variety of reading materials. They also learn to get a sense of how important reading is in everyday life.
- Use a reading program – Sometimes kids need a little more convincing when it comes to reading. Using a reading program can help them see that reading can be fun and interactive, not just more school work.
Where can I find interactive reading programs for kids near me?
A reading program can be a great way to get your children excited and motivated to read. There are many different kinds of reading programs you can use at home that are interactive and can be used at home.
- Local libraries – Your local library already probably has a reading program in place for children. You can check with them for the specifics of their program. Often there is a pre-selected list of books your child can read from, and some libraries might have weekly reading groups set up that you and your child can attend.
- Scholastic and Barnes & Noble – Both Scholastic and Barnes & Noble have popular summer reading programs that help keep children motivated and learning over summer breaks. They are programs that are designed to be done at home making it easy for your kids to get involved.
- Private reading institutes – Reading institutes are programs that are meant to help kids read through reading tutors or teachers. These institutes vary from being expensive to being free. Some schools use these reading institutes as an afterschool or summer reading program, but for kids, they can just feel like an extension of regular class hours.
- Online reading programs – Online reading programs are a convenient and easy way to get your child to be enthusiastic about reading. Online reading programs also have the advantage of being accessible anywhere you go.
What is the best online reading program?
An online reading program is a great way to help support your child’s reading progress at home. Readability is a great overall program that can help your child to improve their reading skills from the comfort of their own home.
Readability has a large library of original content that is constantly being updated, so your child will never run out of reading materials. Your child can choose stories that are exactly at their reading level, or they can challenge themselves and read stories that are just above their reading level.
The online reading program also works as a private reading tutor for your child. Using A.I. and speech-recognition technology, it listens to your child as they read aloud and gives them feedback and error correction to help them improve.
Interactive reading programs are a great way to help improve your child’s reading skills. As a parent, finding reading programs for kids near me are a top priority to help improve the reading process. An online reading program such as Readability makes that search even easier.