Many parents think that games are the only apps that are made for children, but that’s not the case. There are a number of different educational apps that children can use to keep their minds active outside of the classroom. Book reading apps are especially popular among children in elementary school. Here’s what parents should know about these informative, yet fun apps for children:
What Are the Benefits of Book Reading Apps?
Book reading apps are not mindless, addicting gaming or social media apps. There are many benefits to using book reading apps, including:
- Reading apps are available for kids to use any time, any place. This means kids won’t have to lug around a backpack full of books with them in order to practice reading on the go.
- Many kids are eager to get their hands on tablets, smartphones, and other tech devices. For this reason, kids may actually prefer using a reading app as opposed to reading an actual book. This preference could motivate them to read more on a regular basis.
- Some children don’t show any interest in reading simply because they haven’t found anything interesting to read. Reading apps feature a wide variety of stories, so children won’t have any trouble finding something that grabs their attention.
- The key to becoming a better reader is practice, practice, practice. If your child is struggling, using these apps can help them improve the skills they need to become better readers.
- Parents will love reading apps, too. Some apps are designed to help parents monitor their child’s progress so they can track their improvement over time.
These are some of the many ways that reading apps can benefit both children and parents.
When Should Children Start Using Book Reading Apps?
Most children learn to read by the time they are six or seven years old. But you don’t need to wait until your child is a fluent reader to download a book reading app. In fact, your child doesn’t need to know how to read in order to enjoy and benefit from using these apps.
If your child is a new or inexperienced reader, they can use the app to listen to stories. Being read to can help kids at this level develop the spelling and phonics skills they need to read independently.
There’s no right or wrong answer when it comes to deciding when your child is ready to start using reading apps. Every child is unique, so introduce your child to these apps when you feel it’s the right time to do so.
How Often Should Children Use Reading Apps?
Reading can improve language, information processing, reasoning, decision-making, and problem-solving skills. Research has also shown that avid readers typically perform higher on standardized tests and have more content knowledge than children who don’t read.
The expression “everything in moderation” certainly does not apply to reading. Because there are so many benefits to reading, you should encourage your child to read as much and as often as possible.
Of course, if your child hasn’t developed a love for reading just yet, it may be hard to get them to commit to using a reading app. In this case, it’s best for parents to set certain goals for their children to get them to read more.
Studies have shown that it’s best for children to read for at least 15 minutes per day. This is easily achievable, so you may want to start with this goal. If your child needs to improve their reading skills, they may need up to three hours of practice per week in order to become stronger readers.
What is the Best App to Teach A Child to Read?
There are many different book reading apps to choose from, but none that can compare to Readability. Using this app, your child can work one-on-one with a virtual tutor that uses artificial technology and advanced speech recognition technology to improve your child’s reading skills. Struggling readers will receive real-time feedback as they read aloud, so they can immediately identify and correct their mistakes. Within 90 days, parents will see a drastic improvement in their child’s reading skills thanks to the Readability app.
Readability features countless engaging, fun stories for kids at all grade levels. The content is updated regularly, so kids will never run out of stories to enjoy! Download this app on your smartphone or tablet to begin your free 7-day trial today.